Wednesday, July 15, 2009

HDR Playtime!

American Airlines

Last month when I flew up to Chicago, we got diverted to St. Louis because of the nightmare that was the storm front rolling through the area. The sunset was beautiful. It was just us, the plane, the tarmac, and our fellow stranded fliers in the other planes around us. We were all in the penalty box and no one knew if we'd get out alive.

I didn't have much else to do, so I popped over to the left side of our plane and just started playing with the bracketing on my d300. I had intended to play with HDR a bit, but never got around to touching the photos when I got back to Austin.

Until now.

It's not great. I'm definitely no StuckInCustoms, that's for sure. But hell, for a first attempt, it's pretty damn good. Check it out in
large on black.

This was created with 7 RAW images all at f8, ranging from 1/100th to 1/1600th and tonemapped in Photomatix. I had to let it re-align things because I was handholding the camera and shifted around a bit while the photos were being taken. I think it did an excellent job.

Definitely need to play with HDR some more and see what I can come up with.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

This is stunning. I know nothing about the technology involved, so I probably am not properly appreciating the complexity of this, but as an image it's gorgeous and rich and really enjoyable to look at.

HCoyote said...

Yeah, it's fun stuff. I want to go back out and take some more photos of stuff in Austin today and see what I can come up with.