Sunday, August 23, 2009

A month! Where have you been!?

Drummer calling the lionSo there I was, stuck in the jungles of Borneo fending off the attacks of never before seen lovers of longpork and the delightfully disgusting dance of durian when ...

Wait, that's not it.

So there I was, sitting in first class on my way to grand Paris when the co-pilot rushed out of the smocking cockpit proclaiming the need for a professional geek. I, being a professional geek, raised my hand and ...

The sleeping lionWait, that's not it either.

So there I was, wondering how I was going to explain to my wife that I'd been arrested for trespassing in some rancher's field while trying to get my nude, feather wearing model to mount a cathartic bull when ...

Nope, nope. Not it either.

Ok. I admit it. I've just been busy. The month of August, while blazingly hot, has been nothing but work, work, more work, hey, look it's work! and ... lastly, more work. Mixed with a bit of fun, mind you.

Lion dances in the meadowI did manage to get out and do a brief photowalk early August. I ran across a troupe on the south mall up on campus. What drew me to them was the taiko drum thundering through the six-pack as I walked near the tower.

They were practicing a routine with one of the traditional Chinese lions. Bright, golden yellow was the color of their costumes. The dancers were engaged in what was going on and paid no attention to me, lurking some yards back. One thing struck me as I watched: the troupe was well-polished and practiced. You could see it in each leap and weave, each bow of the lion's head, each rhythmic strut following the beat of the drum.

Taming the Lion IAs the taiko thumper pushed the pace faster and slower, the troupe had dancers diving in and out from under the lion. The troupe lead was shouting them on, encouraging them to keep it tight and smooth.

The drummer went slower.

The lion paced.

When the last thump of the drum was heard, all the dancers emerged, lined up, and gave the lead a bow. All in time, as if they were saluting a lieutenant.

I packed my camera and walked off. I thought about giving them my card, but when I went back a few minutes later, they had gone.

No comments: