Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Finding my 1000 true fans

I was reading Kevin Kelly's post about 1000 True Fans today and a statement within it struck me.

A creator, such as an artist, musician, photographer, craftsperson, performer, animator, designer, videomaker, or author - in other words, anyone producing works of art - needs to acquire only 1,000 True Fans to make a living.


This simple idea made me realize that for me to succeed in my art, my photography, I need to make an effort to actually market myself and what I do. I sort of started this by opening a Model Mayhem account earlier this week, mostly as a way to have a simple portfolio that models and other photogs would see so they could begin getting interested in what I do. I also re-began this blog as a way to put forth a more "professional" face on what I do. The next step is to get a real website. I like Flickr, but it's not a great tool for presenting myself to people who wish to work with me. Don't get me wrong, I love Flickr and what it has allowed me to do, but I'm ready to take the next step.

So, one day at a time, one fan at a time. Starting this all today means I'll have something to show for in three, five, and even ten years down the line.

No comments: