Monday, October 20, 2008

All weddings, except those with shotgun in evidence, are wonderful.

The BrideLast week, my friends Todd and Elizabeth got married at Ruta Maya in South Austin, surrounded by friends and family before the the wing fountain. As my gift to them, I said I would take photos of the day's events since they weren't going to have a professional photographer present. I think, in short, the day went smashingly (except for the part where I ran into another car on the way to the wedding).

This wedding was quite different from the previous one (Greg and Tara's) I did last month. There was significantly more people and it was being done outside during the height of the day, sun fully blazing down upon us. Ok, it wasn't that bad. It was partly cloudy, so I had points where things weren't so harsh, light-wise. I didn't use the flash outside at all, really. I started out but decided that with the alternating sun-no-sun moments, the fill would be too much and overpower the things I did have correctly exposed.

Inside Ruta Maya was a different story. DARK! The ceiling is covered in black paint, some of the walls are corrugated steel, and there's really no place to bounce light off of. I ended up putting one flash with a stoffen on one side of the room and one on the other, both powered up to 1/2 and full power. Just enough to get some light filling the place so I can shoot at ISO400 and 800. I just made sure to keep them out of the field of view whenever possible.

Once I got the obligatory reception shots, the cake cutting, and some other things, I pulled a few people aside and got some nice portrait shots done. I liked how they came out. I think Elizabeth and Todd will love them.

Overall, this one was much easier than the last wedding. I still don't think I could shoot these professionally (at least, not until I get a D300 and the new 24-70mm lens). But, nonetheless, it was fun and yet another experience to stick under my belt.

More photos from the wedding.

Todd, the groom, looking rather dapper in his tux.

Todd

Elizabeth, the bride, was positively glowing ALL day.

Elizabeth

The mouse newlyweds sitting atop the cake.

Newlyweds

Before the ceremony, she walked around the pond watching the waterfall onto the smooth rocks below.

Pondside.

A moment of silence hushed the crowd.

A moment in silence

"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."

Hands

"Do you?" Yes. "Do you?" Yes.

The Crowd

"You may now kiss the bride!"

The Kiss

Aw, and the didn't even smush it into each others faces. How cute!

The Cake

There's always one in every crowd, the one who gets all the girls. We call him the Mac Daddy.

The Mac Daddy

And finally, bridge and groom brought together by the big man.

Todd, Elizabeth, and O

1 comment:

Ali said...

You're a gifted photographer. I didn't realize Obsidian was a minister.