Sunday, October 12, 2008

Life Updates.

Fire PetalsWoo! What a long week. Exciting, but long. One of the local photographers, James, runs a coop studio on South Congress. He's been looking for a few people to buy-in and help spread the cost out a bit more. I talked it over with my wife and she agreed to it, so I paid my first month's portion of the rent and picked up my keys on Thursday. WOOT! I've already got half a dozen friends and such lined up to do some shoots.

I'm really excited about this. I'm finding that I work a lot better when I have some place more controlled to move around in. I like the Strobist shoots, but those can get overly hectic, so this will give me a much better ability to refine my skills even more.

The studio isn't big. But it's big enough. I think it's about 15'x25' or so. Certainly deep enough for portraiture. They have it set up with some seamless paper backgrounds and a few lights. My friend Scarlett has offered to give me a trunk of stuff useful for props, so I'll have something fun to play with in the studio with my subjects. In fact, Scarlet will be my first subject next Tuesday.

As I mentioned, I've gotten a few other folks to let me take their photos too. I'm still working on ideas, but I know that I'll be able to do a few fetish shoots like I want.

Yesterday, I shot another wedding. Like the last one, this one was for a friend. Sort of my gift to them for their marriage. I'll be posting more about it later, once I've gotten a better handle on the photos. What I have so far is looking pretty good. I still don't think I could do wedding photography as a mainstay of my photographic career. It's definitely A LOT of work.

I need to work on a website. I'm realizing this more and more as I get farther along this photographic track. I'm going to figure out some designs in the coming weeks. It's going to be a busy time.

The photo above is of my friend Greg playing with fire one evening out at practice. He wanted to know what a particular move looked like on film to see which version was more aesthetically pleasing. The half-time version you see above (where the flaming poi are moving a half-step out of sync) was the better looking flower.

No comments: