Friday, February 20, 2009

"I'm going a hundred miles an hour down a dead-end road."



Just some notable quotes that struck me as I was listening and watching this.

"I placed myself against my peers this year and was ready to walk away from the camera for good. I have so far to go and I'm tired. It was time to reinvent myself again but I didn't have it in me to even try."


"I've been driving as fast as I can for as long as I could remember. I've been stuck at this breakneck speed and it seems as though I can't get out of first gear. By the end of last year, I was throwing rods and the gaskets were blowing out like birthday candles."


"Chances are you have your voice. You can say whatever you want to say right now. So what are you saying? What are you doing with the time you have right now?"


"Some of you are the real top ten photographers in the world and the rest of us don't even know you're alive. You don't even realize how amazing you are. Some of you are just getting started. Be patient. Don't rush. Chill out. You are on your way. Some of you suck and you really need some help."


and shortly followed by

"Every photographer in all of the history was a horrible photographer for some period of time. They learned. They grew. They had dark days. They persevered. That is the way of the artist."


Talk about hitting you like a five pound sledge. In the grand scheme of things, I haven't been a photographer for long, but I've definitely stepped into these dark, lackluster corners of creativity. It's sort of cathartic and uplifting knowing that even pros get this way at times.

No comments: