Saturday, April 10, 2010

365/99 Steamy coffee ... or is it?

365/99 Steamy coffee ... or is it?

Woot! I think I'm nearing the end of my first real hump in this photo project. It's day 99, right around the point that I expected a slump to occur.

I've been looking at food photography techniques and smoke photography techniques lately, trying to better understand them. Figured I'd try to use one with the other to mimic steam coming off the hot surface of a cup of coffee. I think it may have been a bit too much smoke in this particular case. But, what the hell, learning experience right?

The cup is empty, save for a slowly burning cone of incense. Single light, an SB-900 through a Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe, to camera left and slightly behind the cup. There's a second hilight showing up inside the rim on the far side of the mug that I can't figure out what's actually causing it: it's either the bounce back from the on-camera flash (which I had covered up with my hand to gobo it from the mug) or it's the TV that was right behind me while I was shooting.

And, as a bonus, here's a few smoke-only photos that have been color-enhanced in Photoshop. Figured it was a shame to waste this opportunity to capture some smoke after I was done with the coffee mug photos.

DSC_6739-Edit
DSC_6724-Edit

No comments: