Tuesday, February 2, 2010

365/32 Ball in Hand

Ball in hand

"My attitude toward punctuation is that it ought to be as conventional as possible. The game of golf would lose a good deal if croquet mallets and billiard cues were allowed on the putting green. You ought to be able to show that you can do it a good deal better than anyone else with the regular tools before you have a license to bring in your own improvements."

Ernest Hemingway


I know. It's not a great photo. I've always loved the lighting in this pool hall for some reason. Every light down low, at eye-level. But not blinding you. It's focused and directed at the movement at hand: the balls, the cue, the felt, the chalked hand, the strike.

There's a particular photo I would love to get in this place: someone suspended above the tables while everyone ignores and continues on playing their game of billiards. But, all you would see of the players is there ghostly impression capturing the movement of their games. The one act of stillness coming from the suspension above it all.

That's my vision. That's what I see when I come into this place.

No comments: