Wednesday, February 24, 2010

365/53 Anjou wine and virtuosity.

365/53 Anjou wine and virtuosity.

"Infatuated, half through conceit, half through love of my art, I achieve the impossible working as no one else ever works."

Alexander Dumas


Fifty two in fifty two. It was an ambitious idea. Reading fifty books in fifty two weeks, that is. As of this very moment, I'm batting one for fifty two. Yes. I suck.

The book I'm reading right now is The Club Dumas. It's one of my favorites. The movie The 9th Gate is based on it. I'm not sure if I like the book because of the movie or the movie because of the book. They both have their quirks and interesting parts.

It's about a book dealer who must authenticate an original copy of the Anjou Wine serial manuscript from Alexander Dumas' The Three Muskateers. I won't go into detail. I certainly won't do it justice. The Wikipedia entry on it is fairly good and picks up on a few nuances that I missed the first time I read it. I think the most interesting part was the sheer number of literary references contained within. Little hints to lead off in other directions and reads once this one is complete.

Although, first things first. I'll have to read The Three Muskateers again, once done. It's only right.

No comments: