Friday, February 19, 2010

365/48 Aerodynamic. Like a brick.

365/48 Aerodynamic.  Like a brick.

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

THGTTG


Well, not exactly flying. More like hovering with style and grace. I imagine this is what it would look like to be strung up once the hangman has been paid his silver. Just swinging in the wind. Sorry, that was a bit morbid.

It's interesting how your mind can warp an image in one direction or another depending upon the state of your subconscious as you approach. I think that's what makes every photo unique for every person: everyone interprets the image in multiple ways depending upon the mood, phase of the moon, amount of sleep deprivation, or even how much the stomach is growling. Anything and everything can affect how you view something.

When I made this photo, I wanted to do a triptych showing me launching into the air: the ready, the steady, the go. All in perfect focus and giving you the sense of wanting to get up and spring forth into the air. But, when I got it in Lightroom to choose the photo for the day, it really did strike me how eerily close this would be to a lynching photo, if I were surrounded by a pitchfork-and-torch wielding mob. All it needed was a bit of rope.

Like I said. It was a little morbid.

Trying to find other ideas to shoot before the charcoal background. I'm limited in both time and width when it comes to this stuff, so the first few photos have been thrown together at the last moment and limited to what I could nail into the frame in a short width. It's been a trip trying to find stuff that will work and I've only been doing this two days. The hard part, I think, is finding suitable subjects. I don't think you want to be staring at my ugly mug for the next 300+ days (as much as my ego thinks you should ... just sayin').

Here, I'm lit with a single SB-900 in my lastolite ezybox. Nothing fancy. Like I said, thrown together at the last minute. And boy, is it freakin' tiring trying to get a jump timed so that it's captured at the right moment with the intervalometer. Just damned annoying.

No comments: