Tuesday, February 9, 2010

365/39 Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?

365/39 Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Morpheus, The Matrix


Today would have been the day to have a brain crushing headache. All the signs were there, except the neurons firing off half-cocked. They should have been there, ravaging what's left of my brain. Thankfully? They weren't. All I could think about today was how much easier it would have been if I had taken that sad little blue pill that returned me back to normality.

Because of all this, I've had trouble today finding something interesting and photo-worthy. I played with the cats and the camera for some time. They were entirely thrilled with that. Heh. Reminds me of a quote from a friend: "Bloodplay? No thanks, I've already got cats."

Anyway.

I've been lazy with the camera the last few days when setting up shots. Something simple: bouncing a single flash off the wall because it's cheap, easy, and means I don't have to do much striking of equipment when I'm done. It works reasonably well enough to get some depth and shadow in the photo, but there's not as much control as I'd like. Trade-offs, you know?

The more I get into this 365-a-day project, the more I find that the photo is easier to do if I don't have to bury myself in gear to get it. But, this is contrary to my aim of the project, which is to slowly incorporate more gear into the photo so I get used to working with it on a consistent basis. This is for lighting, mostly. A balancing game, if you will. One thing is for sure: I need to get a few shades of seamless paper to have more options to shoot against. I'm getting tired of black backgrounds or wooden table ones. Need something different.

For now, I'll focus on what's in front of me and try not to let the bottle of Tylenol rule my head.

No comments: