Sunday, January 24, 2010

365/21 Zoom, zoom, zoom

365/21 Zoom, zoom, zoom.

"He moved in a way that suggested he was attempting the world speed record for the nonchalant walk."

Terry Pratchett


I'm behind in posting photos. Stuck in neutral again, trying to zoom all over the place. Nowhere fast, you know.

Anyway.

It is time to slow down, I think. Take this photo, for example. When I originally took it the other day, I had this notion of exposing life as this rush of activity wherein everyone is attempting to do more with less time. There's no stopping for a moment of breath, no standing still for the wind. I wanted to show this idea here.

The irony of the photo is that I had to stop and relax to take this. Stop and wait, stop and see, stop and anticipate. This got me thinking about the effort it takes to effectively flow through a project like this. The more I look at this photo, the more I realize that it's not recording the hustle of life, but the slow, 25 second flight of time's arrow. It's a two dimensional projection of a four dimensional event.

The more I look at this, the more I find the detail interesting. For example, the trail of the brake lights from the car in the lower half of the frame. You can see two things coming from that: the shape of the road (there's a dip in it) and the zone of safety coming up to the stop sign. You can see where the driver begins and ends his life's reliance on modern braking technology.

I was looking to record the snaking trail of the brake lights only. Got more than I intended. Plus, I love the little detail of red brake lights on the far right side. Must have been another car moving through that parking lot when I was focused on the roadway. Little details are the best. Especially when you have to slow down to see them.

No comments: