Sunday, January 24, 2010

365/22 Lucky Number Thirteen

365/22 Lucky Number Thirteen

You philosophers are lucky men. You write on paper and paper is patient. Unfortunate Empress that I am, I write on the susceptible skins of living beings.

Catherine the Great


Sometimes finding the photo is sheer dumb luck. Sometimes it's covered in oil and grease and you walk across it everyday without ever noticing it. Sometimes you take the shot without really thinking about it. Sometimes you click and click and click, but never find the photo you're looking for.

I spent the afternoon looking for a photo, any photo, that inspired me. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Zip. I'm not sure what caught my eye on this one. I walked right by it, stopped, walked back to it, and took the photo. One shot.

Something that was noticed the other day, is that my last few photos, from both the camera and the iphone, have had a repeated idea: angles drawing the eye into an exaggerated perspective and some sort of repeating constant. In this case, it's numbers on the floor. In other cases, it's been the square keys on a keyboard or the windows on a building.

I'm not sure why. It's just been happening that way. I could say that I planned it that way, but I'm not so sure. It's certainly not an active idea floating around my head. At least, not until the moment it was pointed out to me. I guess you could say it was sheer dumb luck up until that point. Then with this photo, I looked for it, however subconsciously that was.

Maybe it was luck. Maybe it wasn't. In the end, the photo still got taken and I got my idea for the day.

No comments: