Monday, March 1, 2010

365/59 Sinister

365/59 Sinister

I've always been a bit fascinated by some of the hand-held speedlight photos I've seen done by Joe McNally. Tonight, I stumbled across another that he did where he was holding two very close to the sides of his head. His photo was done in broad daylight, though. I didn't have any of that, so I ran with it in my own way. I took a series of photos, moving the speedlights farther and farther out, starting at about 4 inches from my head.

I like how it turned out. Very sinister looking. I think, if I had to do it differently, I would reposition the lights by 90 degrees, so the long edge of the flash was going along the edge of my face instead of across the side of my head.

Though, one thing's for sure: next time I do this, I'm going to set the lights up on stands instead of hand-holding. It'd be much easier to manage taking the photos this way. Who knew?

No comments: